Hospitals across the nation are faced with quite a dilemma–balancing the cost of accessing and properly managing state-of-the-art medical equipment technology with the ability to maintain and provide a high standard of patient care. Standardizing and upgrading medical equipment is essential to maintaining high-care standards, while on the other hand, the cost and complexity of enterprise equipment maintenance and management can divert valuable facility resources away from this core mission.
Asset planning is fundamental to the effective management of an organization’s business. Matching the medical equipment requirements of health services to their service delivery strategy should result in medical equipment assets consistent with the scope, capacity and performance of the service required.
Planning and identifying needs is the starting point for asset management. This involves a thorough examination of why the particular equipment is required and must give consideration to the full range of options for responding to it. These options may include both asset- and non-asset-based solutions as well as demand management strategies. For example, a health service may have multiple ultrasound units in the health service, hospital or department, the needs analysis should clearly identify why a replacement or additional ultrasound may be required. It is acknowledged that the decision-making process on equipment needs may occur in isolation to any funding opportunities or calls for funding submissions.
The process of asset planning and identification of equipment needs enables the development of priority equipment needs. These priorities should be regularly reviewed and may need to be updated to reflect, for example, impacts from changes in technology, service delivery methods or the cost of equipment.
Asset Management services provide your hospital with the following key benefits:
- Pay for what you need – and only when you need it by eliminating large capital expenditures on equipment.
- Handle census fluctuations with ease while meeting short and long term needs.
- Create optimal patient outcome and increase your caregivers efficiency.
- One comprehensive contract tailored to medical equipment inventory
- Coverage of every piece of medical equipment from surgical instruments to general biomedical equipment to laboratory & high-end diagnostic imaging equipment (CT, MRI, etc.).
- 24 hour on-call maintenance & repair service.
- Comprehensive management reporting on key medical equipment performance indicators on a regular basis.
- Performance guarantees should we fail to deliver on key performance indicators, including equipment availability, planned maintenance completion rate & repair time.
- Comprehensive training & development program for hospital medical equipment end-users.
- Input into the systematic screening of the most appropriate models of equipment to buy, taking into account clinical effectiveness, lifetime ownership costs & the hospital’s patient care delivery objectives.
- Audits & recommendations as to the most appropriate environmental conditions that should be maintained at your hospital facility.